Week Twenty One: Nourishment evolves
You are 21 weeks pregnant. (fetal age 19 weeks)
- Length is now measured crown to heel.
- The fetus has grown to 10.5 inches (27 cm) - 12.7 ounces
- It is now gaining weight steadily, with fat being added to the body.
- Bone marrow has started making blood cells.
- Their small intestine is starting to absorb sugars.
Week Twenty Two: Taste buds develop
You are 22 weeks pregnant. (fetal age 20 weeks)
- The fetus reacts to loud sounds.
- Baby starts having a regular sleeping and waking rhythm.
- The mother's movements can wake her baby.
- Taste buds are forming on your baby's tongue.
- The baby is 28cm long (crown to heel) and weighs over 450 grams.
- The weekly weight gain has increased to around 70 grams.
Week Twenty Three: Sense of balance develops
You are 23 weeks pregnant. (fetal age 21 weeks)
- He or she measures over 28cm and weighs up to 550 grams.
- The baby is over 11 inches tall, weighs about a pound.
- The eyebrows are visible.
- The child can successfully suck.
- Bones located in the middle ear harden.
Week Twenty Four: Practices breathing
You are 24 weeks pregnant. (fetal age 22 weeks)
- The child is now gaining around 3 ounces (90 grams) a week.
- Baby weighs about 1.3 pounds and is 12 inches long.
- Baby weighs about 600 grams and is 30cm (crown to heel) long.
- The eyelids can be seen very clearly.
- If born at this stage is officially considered viable, they may well
be able to survive.