Week Thirty Seven: Baby is full term
You are 37 weeks pregnant. (fetal age 35 weeks)
- Typically, baby now measures 19.5 inches (50 cm) from the head
to the heel.
- Baby weighs up to 7 pounds or 3 kilograms.
- The head diameter is over 3.5 inches (9cm).
- The water could break at any time.
- If it does happen, see a doctor immediately.
Week Thirty Eight: Development is complete
You are 38 weeks pregnant. (fetal age 36 weeks)
- Baby is about 20 inches (51 cm) and weighs about 7.5 pounds (3.4
- The soft down, which covered the body throughout the pregnancy, is now
- The body fat is continuing to build up.
- The wrinkled skin is becoming 'baby' smooth.
- The baby may have reached its final birth position.
- Most babies are born head first with only about 3 percent coming out
- About one in eight births are caesarean.
Week Thirty Nine: Very close now
You are 39 weeks pregnant. (fetal age 37 weeks)
- The average baby is about 20 inches (51 cm) and weighs about 7.5
pounds (3400 grams).
- The baby has reached its final birth position.
- It will be cramped inside your uterus for much movement.
- Your baby will continue to punch and kick but lower in your abdomen,
under your pelvis.
- The head is about 4 inches (10 cm) in diameter.
- Most of the baby's downy coating of lanugo has now disappeared.
Week Forty: Your due date arrives
You are 40 weeks pregnant. (fetal age 38 weeks)
- You have now reached the time of delivery.
- All systems are developed and ready to go.
- Now it is just a matter of time.
- Baby is about 20 inches (51cm) and weighs approximately 7.5
pounds (3.5 kg).
- The head has a diameter of about 4 inches (10 cm).
- The contractions could begin at any moment.